a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Reference pronunciation chart

dattackcat4930
New in Town

Reference pronunciation chart

Postby dattackcat4930 » September 10th, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi,

I think it would be very helpful if there is a reference pronunciation chart for different sounds in Swedish. (Maybe you already have that and I missed it?)

Also... this might seem like a strange question... A friend of mine is from Sweden and insisted that I was pronouncing his name (Johan) wrong . Tried as I did for several months, it did not sound correct enough to him to make him aware I was speaking to him (or about him), which was particularly embarrassing when I was trying to introduce him to people. Would it be too much trouble to ask you to record a 2 second clip on how my friend's name is pronounced? racking my brain a bit here... :oops:

Thanks!

Danni

swedish.innovative
New in Town

Re: Reference pronunciation chart

Postby swedish.innovative » September 13th, 2013 9:06 am

Hi Danni!

Thank you for your comment!

We do have a chart over that will guide you in your pronunciation of Swedish words and letter. You'll find it under the tab "Swedish Resources" and its called "Swedish pronunciation".

I can understand it's frustrating that you find it difficult to pronounce your friends name. I think the name "Johan" can be tricky if you are used to pronounce it in English. I would partly suggest that you look at the chart that I suggested above and I think the trick is to get the "j" which should be pronounced as a "y" in "yes" and the "o" which in this case should be pronounced "oo" as in "too". I'm not sure I can actually upload a recording, but after doing some investigation I remembered that we actually use the name Johan in one of our lessons, namely lesson 8 in our beginner series. So please listen to that to get a better sense of how it should sound!

Good luck!

Cheers,
Satsuki Team SwedishPod101.com
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Swedish Lesson Suggestions”